Citizens of Austria, Belgium, Denmark, Finland, France, Germany, Great Britain, Greece, Iceland (*), Ireland, Italy, Liechtenstein (*), Luxembourg, Norway(*), Portugal, Sweden, Switzerland (**), The Netherlands, can enter, exit, travel and live in Spain, as well as have access to any kind of economic activity, employee or self-employed :
(*) States part of the European Economic Area Agreement.
(**) Agreement of June 21, 1999, between the European Community and the Swiss Confederation, on free movement of people.
Required documentation to travel or study in Spain: a valid passport or Identity Card.
If you want to work or study in Spain you will be subject to the specific regulatory provisions in force on equal conditions as Spanish citizens.
If you are planning to live in Spain, you will need the NIE number (personal ID) for all official papers (for medical visits, when registering a car or buying a property in Spain, etc.). To get the necessary application forms you need to go to the National Police (Policia Nacional) where you also have to return the forms.
When is the residence card necessary?
If you are not a self-employed worker or salaried employee, student, or beneficiary of the right to permanent residence and you want to live in Spain for more than three months, you have to ask for…
- Temporary Residence Card: if your intention is to stay for more than three months but less than a year, you should obtain this card
- Residence Card (ordinary): when the permanency is going to be for more than one year. This card is valid for five years and is automatically renewable for similar periods. Is necessary accreditation of economic situation to live for this period (income, work contract, bank account balance) and health insurance
What type of documents do I have to present to obtain the residence card?
- Filling in the official form that you will get at the Foreigners Office (Oficina de Extranjeros) or National Police Office (Comisaria de Policia Nacional) in the town where you plan to live. You can also obtain an online form from the Department of Interior, Department of Labour and Social Matters, or Public Administration Department
- Photocopy of passport or identity card
- Three passport size photos
- Degree and/or certification of the qualification required for the exercise of the profession, where appropriate.
As an exception and for reasons of law and public health, a medical certificate may also be requested certifying the health condition of the applicant.